I haven’t done a catch up/Lately# post for a while. To be honest its because Ive not really got much to talk about right now other than Robs accident, my cycling training and work.
My blog already has two posts dedicated to cycling (which is more than enough!), but Im still going to waffle on some more about all of the above (sorry!). Except for work that is, because no one wants to hear about that!
Here is a recap on whats been going on lately –
- So Rob fractured his shoulder three weeks ago today, after his tubeless front tire burst and he flew over his handle bars on the red route mountain bike trail at Bedgebury. I wasn’t with him at the time (that kind of riding is too extreme for me) and he had to call his parents to pick him up and take him to A&E, as I don’t drive. And before you ask, no, I am not going to learn anytime soon. Its an unnecessary expense right now, and I can manage fine without driving anywhere. Except in emergencies that is!
- Talking of which, Rob cannot drive at the moment and for (at least) the next three weeks. Its no biggie as we have managed before without a car for long periods of time, due to not being able to afford one and having work carried out on the Beetle etc. Right now, the kick in the teeth is that we do not know when will be able to go camping next. I have this weekend off (my first in ages) and I had hoped to get away somewhere. Its a good job the weather is rubbish and its pissing down right now!
- I have also cancelled my week off booked this month. Hopefully we can go camping somewhere in June or July….
- When Rob first came home from the hospital, he was in a bad way. In lots of pain and he could not lie down and dress himself etc, so he camped on the sofa for two days solid. I looked after him the best I could (I am not a natural nurse type) until he downloaded a new app on his phone. A bell app! Aghhhhh! He drove me mad ringing this bloody bell everytime he wanted something! He was just like this cat in the video below. Just not as funny or as cute. Or a cat…P.s watch the video to the end, its funny!
- I have also temporarily lost my training buddy for my sponsored 35 mile bike ride in June (which I may have mentioned once or twice on here!!) Its only 8 weeks away today – eek!
I am not motivated enough to go on my own, so I was asking and texting everyone I could think of if they wanted to come out cycling with me. Every female I could think of, that is, as all the blokes I know who cycle are super competitive and too fast for me! I kept saying that I need to find a lady with a bike, to go for a ride with. My sister joked that I should advertise myself with that tag line on Tinder!!
- I hate doing this, and I feel a bit like a chugger, but if anyone fancies sponsoring me, here is our page and more info about the bike ride. So far we have raised a grand total of £0.00. We are useless!
- I found a training buddy eventually with my work colleague, and I have been out on my own a few times. I had not been on a bike for 20 years until recently, and the furthest I have ever riden is 20 miles (accidentally)* at Bewl Water park. This year the furthest I have ridden is 17.6 miles in the New Forest, but that had a pub lunch stop halfway (my favourite kind of bike ride!). Yesterday I rode 14 miles without stopping and rode up the evil hill ( 7% gradient and 0.2 miles long) in my local park four times without getting off and pushing my bike! I am slowly getting there, but I still have a long way to go to get up to 35 miles without stopping. In 8 weeks – eek!
- A lady working in Holland and Barrett was asking Rob what happened to him the other day (wearing a sling draws a lot of attention as you can imagine) and asked him if he was increasing his calcium intake. Neither of us had thought of that, and then we swiftly exited the shop before she had a chance to try to sell us some supplements! It might be an old wives tale, but it can’t do any harm, so Rob has been guzzling lots of whole milk to help repair his broken bones and I have been buying lots of mini Babybells for him to snack on. And guess what, now I am addicted to snacking on mini Babybells!
- After 10 years of owning my own lawn, thanks to Robs shoulder I have finally learnt how to use the lawn mower and strimmer! Feminist feel free to hate me saying this, but me and my female friends like to call mowing the lawn a “blue job” and we are happy to let the men in our life do that chore! I guess its a useful life skill to learn, but lets just say that if I was single I think I would concrete over the whole garden!
- Mum gave me a couple of vintage cookbooks recently. I might blog about them eventually.
- I got my grubby mitts on two of Orla Kiely’s limited edition coffee jars. I just need the green one now to complete the set, then figure out what the hell to do with them and how to display them!
* Correction – I cycled 14 miles and walked 7 miles from our campsite to the cycle hire centre and back again. I was absolutely knackered after that ride and was for days afterwards. But yesterday I cycled 14 miles, walked 4 odd miles with Rob to Lidl and town, then mowed the lawn when I got home and felt fine the next day. So I have improved in two years!